Image Map

Thursday 17 October 2013

Watching the sky - NSW Bushfires

Today was another hot windy day here in Sydney. Perfect condition, unfortunately, for bushfires. It's been a fair few years since fires have turned the sky around where I live a rainbow of colours. It's breath taking and horrific all at the same time.


The last time the sky had this look was back in January 1994. On my 10th birthday, I remember walking down to my aunts to go swimming and having ash fall on us from the fires burning around Sydney and New South Wales.


It certainly has put things in to perspective. Today Jason and I had a really horror of a day. I was angry at him, at the bank, at the kids. It was a bad day...


Today hundreds of people have been left homeless and everything they owned engulfed by flames. People who live barely an hour's drive from where I was cursing about a bad day.


My heart and thoughts go out to those who have lost their homes, to the firefighters who will continue battling blazes through the night and to the people in shelters who still don't know if they will have a home to return to.


 photo tiniest-sig_zpsb3cf0281.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I hope you are safe! It really does put things in perspective about how lucky we can be. I was near the Black Saturday bushfires in Gippsland a few years ago. I only saw it from the distance, but I can only imagine what it would have been like for those close by.
    Hopefully it all clears up safely, and your day gets better!

    ReplyDelete